Wednesday 17 September 2014

Far off... farm...

Not all nuclear or, for that matter, joint families, can take off to An Exotic Super Expensive long weekend holiday, to South East Asian destinations, always. (So much ever we may dream to).  
So, if you are looking out for a reasonably, not completely inexpensive holiday, close to Mumbai … you are reading the right thing … move on . . .

This was to be our camp site destination, for years and believe me it’s the best in that variety. But this time around we tried it out as a family.

So we call our Dear Sayali, (hope I have got her name right) very welcoming sales person at nature trails, very frank and never will she proclaim anything, they cannot serve.
We were offered the cocoon room, which are minimally done, but with air condition, a small, very small, in fact, sit- out which mostly opens up to thick foliage of trees in the foreground and mist kissing mountains beyond.
If you are not frenzied about too much of cleanliness and are not finicky about every minute detail and are willing to take it like a camping holiday it’s the place you were looking out for.

We chose the Ganesh Chaturthi weekend, thinking that not many would venture out but our assumption was incorrect.
We started the journey, with blessings from Bappa and decided to break somewhere for lunch. The drive was super cool, since there was absolutely not a trace of traffic, at any of the expected places. (Two hours exactly with the blessing of freeway)
It was the perfect setting, as we were greeted with mild showers at places, and at some with a heavy one and if the showers weren’t, than the thick dark clouds were.



I tricked everyone into having lunch at the next halt and then next and then next (by which time my nine year old gave up and slept while the other two just gave in).
But the drive was so dreamy, I never stopped, no one did mind (They didn’t have any choice, the wheel being in my safe hands)
until of course we left the Expressway at the Kopoli exit (AFTER KHALAPUR TOLL NAKA, not THE ONE BEFORE IT… remember this bit of information while driving) ...We came across a small nook where I could see Samosas, yelling for attention, from under the net and piping steam from the frayed, reused, vessel of tea. I knew I had found my Man.

Samosas and tea, I don’t know why but can fascinate me at any point of time, anywhere. And the fascination didn’t just remain at that, it was indeed worth the break.

We tried samosas, of course,

  along with some kanda bhaji (The best I have had in long time), served with two types of local chutney and ketchup, just in case we would be the city snob types. Tea to compliment the weather, as well as the sumptuous, roadside meal!

I wonder why mostly while travelling, be it south or north or any of the weekend get- away, I am inevitably drawn to these… it’s nothing monetary though…!    

  We moved on, the others happy, that at last I had kept my promise. For the bladders that were bursting … we had to wait for another twenty minutes or so.

Through the lush green blanket of grasses and trees we reached Durshet Forest Lodge. The frayed but visible board caught our sight.




We were welcomed by a heavy shower and Bappa
made his presence known here too.

We checked into the Cocoon room and I presume it’s named aptly.
After lazing around a bit and checking out the room, which didn’t take time for obvious reasons, we moved to have tea and snacks.

After which we decided to walk down to the riverside for kayaking, which we never did through the stay, but it was raining heavily and so we decided to stay put in a shed which had doubled up as a games room. The kids played and we intermittently joined them and soaked in the weather of the place.

None of the Nature Trails resorts have a Television Set in the room, I guess not even in the office, so in a way you are left with no choice but to either enjoy the opportunity or sink into your gadgets. We decided to sink into the moistly, cool monsoon night, in the miniscule sit out, singing away to glory, old and new songs until we ran out of songs or maybe steam.

If you love adventure, you are going to love the walk through the forest uphill, if you aren’t the rough it out kind, avoid and stay put in your room, or maybe walk down the nearby village.

We are a mixed bag of both, but definitely the adventure types in majority; so we decided to join the host of other groups and families on the trail which takes you through adventurous (Sometimes even childish) activities lined up till you reach your final destination… the water fall.

At a particular point you are left with the choice to either Jump through straight to your destination on the Valley Crossing rope or walk down the very unfriendly path… I warned! More so you could walk back and give it up all. 








But mind you the Water fall is amazing and to let you out a secret… you don’t have to go through that entire route again. The walk back is almost even and non- adventurous. Though the activities don’t end there, in fact it gets exciting for some. You decide what gives you pleasure; sitting under the cool, heavily gushing waterfall or rappelling down it.
We chose to play safe, the minority this time wording its choice clearly.
You don’t need to carry water, since the guys accompanying you carry water cans with them and of course you could try some truly MINERAL water while you are at it.

After all those activities, all that one needs, is a sumptuous meal. I reiterate, the meals here are elaborate but don’t expect THREE-FIVE STAR treatment, (We were served juice for breakfast though) remember we are on camping kind of holiday. (Nevertheless at times, I have witnessed worse services in so called THREE-Five Stars… I never made sense, what the stars stand for). 




After the meals we decide to go kayaking, but the river was overflowing and not a very suitable time for it, we were informed. Also we were told not to venture out very close to it since it was in its full glory due to the heavy and continuous down pour.

We walked down to the riverside, the walk itself being exciting in itself, this time not very adventurous though. It was pouring, as we walked down the stone- made steps, mud pedaling beneath our feet, with gushing water.
The sight of the river was amazing, but as warned we witnessed its swift glory from far.
Just as we were enjoying the sight, I received the news (On the cell phone) that my article had appeared in our Community Weekly newspaper. I barely managed to operate the mobile with my wet hands, pouring rain and umbrella tilting in wind. But overjoyed I thanked the ethers and stood in disbelief for a while; that it had actually happened and amused at the fact that the news didn’t reach me on Saturday, as expected and reached me only on that day, that too at such a location. 
I could feel that connection, as if the heavens were showering their love on me, I accepted in grace with open arms.

We climbed back as the level of the river was rising rapidly and we were all by ourselves.

Then the game room, evening tea and snacks.

We spend the rest of the evening in the little balcony trying out our vocal cords. We managed quite well, I assume, no one was around to appreciate or complain; the birds, trees, leaves, wind, raindrops lost in their own melody.

Early dinner and it was time for snooze …since the activities had exhausted us and yes…television wasn’t there for the rescue.  We city dwellers are so bloody addicted to this device.

Walks around the property itself can prove very therapeutic …its huge and so at any point of time you never feel that it’s crowded. There were a number of families big, small, nuclear, joint …also there was a huge group of students, who were set up in the dorm, far from the cocoon rooms. 

We called it an early night so we could make best of the next early morning before we could leave that day. 

The morning bed tea is another common aspect of these Nature Trail resorts…you have it or not, they shall ring the bell and leave the tea for you. 

I and my son woke up the first morning, while taking walks

(We even had company of a big fat Cock all along), discussing Amish Tripathi’s Immortal of Meluha and my good old trecking days; we drank almost the entire flask of tea between the two of us.

The next morning, I was the only one to welcome the tea and drink it as well.

I discovered, on my way back, that my son shares the same kind of feeling that as a child I always had when the vacation would come to an end. 

But then, you need to get back to the grind, rejuvenated so that you can earn those bucks and have a bigger better and happier time again.

Facts:
Google maps I love you. I can’t be lost, even if I want to, you are so damn accurate.
Still, always, wayside passersby are way too handy and they don’t work on batteries.

Where-ever in Mumbai you are driving from get onto the Mumbai- Pune- Expressway and enjoy a safe drive. AFTER the KHALAPUR toll naka, take the KHOPOLI EXIT. 

Soap and Towels are in the room. There is a swimming pool as well. 
Any room is good enough, since they are exactly alike, no partiality. I still feel, the dorm and the cottage rooms have its own, rough- it-up kind of feel, if you are in a group.  

No alcohol policy is in all their resorts, which really makes it a wholesome family holiday maker. 

Go get stoned not with addiction but by simplistic, beauty abound, nature kissed heaven. What more its only 100 km from Mumbai.

Among their other properties... Sajan Ofcourse is my all time favourite and Kundalika is what I am waiting eagerly to visit.


© Nozzer Pardiwala



1 comment:

  1. I relived the trip as I read through each word! And is that samosa wala on zomato???

    ReplyDelete